Eastbourne Borough FC - The Sports

U18's v Colliers Wood - FA Youth Cup


No team wins every game they play and with the boys racking up 8 wins in their first 8 games they were due a loss, unfortunately this happened to come early on in their FA Youth Cup run.

After beating a tough Sittingbourne team in the last round, Boro travelled up to Colliers Wood near wimbledon for the next game.

Despite leaving early in the day, some dreadfull traffic up in London threw an early spanner in the works as after over 3 hours on the road the team coach pulled into the ground with about 30 minutes to go until kick off.

After a quick stretch of their legs, the boys got changed for an very quick warm up before the match started.

Before they had any chance to settle into the game, Colliers Wood took the lead with a speculative shot from distance sailing over the head off the back pedalling George Legg in goal. Pulling themselves together the lads started to get back into the game and started stringing some passes together and for a spell were looking by far the better team.

Colliers Wood clearly had the game plan of trying to unsettle their oppositions with a more phsyical style of play, unfortunately one of their players went a bit too far diving in and fracturing Connor Jone's ankle with a very rash tackle. After a lengthy stoppage whilst Connor was carried off the pitch, Patrick Johnson scored the freekick from just outside the area to pull level.

Whether it being from the lack of time for proper preparation for the game or from seeing what had happened to Connor but the team seemed from here on to abandon their normal style of retaining possesion with lots of passing along the ground in favour of hoofing the ball up front.

Colliers Wood then retook the lead, with George Legg very close to making the save from a deflected long range striker shortly before half time.

Despite being a goal down and playing poorly I was still confident they could get the win if they came out in the second half and played their normal game. Unfortunately despite Boro having most of the possesion very early on the second half, Colliers Wood got their 3rd with another long range strike. Now looking at a preverbial mountain to climb the 3rd goal seemed to knock all the wind out of Boro's sails and they put on a very stagnant peformance for the rest of the game, conceding a late 4th after failing to properly clear a corner.

It was a dissapointing game for all the players, especially knowing on another day if they had played to their usual standard they could of won.

After the heartache of losing in the cup the aim now is to boost the morale back up with a good team performance away to Newhaven in the league in their next game

Team Sponsors