Eastbourne Borough FC - The Sports

Under 18's VS Sidley United


After Thursday nights win in the FA Youth Cup it was back down to Priory Lane to host Sidley United, for the second league game of the season, a raft of changes were made to the squad with 7 different players in the starting eleven.

George "Robbo" Robinson, Clayton Holford and Mitch Light all made appearances from the bench.

Whether it was potentially down to the scorching hot weather or not the first half performance from the boys really didn't stand up to previous efforts and despite going into the interval with a 2-1 lead not many of them would of been happy with how the team had performed.

After a very scruffy first 30 minutes, Boro took the lead with one of the few first half players putting in a good performance Steve turner intercepting a loose ball in defense to slide in Bright to slot past the keeper. Ryan Craig then had a golden opportunity to score being played one on one with the keeper but unfortunately mishit his shot wide, thankfully Eastbourne then doubled their lead with a huge slice of luck, what appeared to be an over hit cross by Sean Dunne from the halfway line dipping just under the bar with the scrambling keeper unable to keep it out. Not to be outdone with the long range efforts, Sidley lobbed the Boro keeper from a good 40 yards to cut the Boro lead.

I'm not sure what was said by the coaches at half time but the boys came out in the second half playing considerably better. Making amends for his earlier miss Ryan scoring the goal of the game picked the ball up just inside the opposition half and galloped towards goal beating 5 Sidley players before rifling the ball into the top corner. With the goal restoring Boro's 2 goal cushion Sidleys spirit seemed to wain and it soon turned into a rout in the last 25 minutes.

Bright Valentino fresh from scoring a hatrick in last weekends game against Uckfield grabbed his second with a fine finish from just inside the box. Ryan a different player after grabbing his "wonder" goal then burst down the right wing turning inside and beating his man before cutting the ball back to substitute Robbo to pass the ball into the back of the net to make it 5-1. Hungry for more Boro continued to come forward at all times and Bright soon had his back to back hat trick after dribbling into the box from the left wing, cutting back to beat him man and then slotting the ball in past the despairing keeper.

There was still time for Borough to score a further 2 in added time with Robbo repaying the assist from Ryan earlier by placing a perfect cross on his forhead for Ryan to grab his second of the game. Robbo then himself grabbed his second cutting in across the pitch from the left wing leaving a couple of players for dead with a drop of his shoulder before smashing in a shot from outside the box which gave the keeper no chance.

So 2 games into the season and despite playing a game less than a couple of other teams Boro sit top of the league with a already very healthy goal difference.

Team Sponsors